Hiding

Last March, a friend and I set a goal of memorizing the book of Colossians in the space of a year.  I didn’t think I could do it.

This hiding–it has been an undertaking.  For a year, I’ve been plugging away–two verses a week and a cycle of reviewing and reciting.  It has been plain old hard work and perhaps a living sacrifice of time and devotion.

I think about the conveniences of our connected, tech-savvy world.  It’s fun to access different versions of the Bible with a click of a button.  I love to read the blogs of folks who think deeply and write encouraging and convicting words.  I enjoy hearing songs of worship as they stream through my media player.  These things are all delivered in such neat and tidy packages (or pixels, or bytes, or whatever they are).  But memorizing–it is not a tidy process.  I fumble over words and the connections get tangled.

In the end, though, the Lord is using it to forge in me a deeper knowledge of who He is, and of who I am in Him.

Like last fall when I had an appointment in traffic court, and He said to me, “I have forgiven all your trespasses.  I have canceled the record of debt that stood against you with its legal demands.  I have set it all aside, nailing it to the cross.

Then there are the times when my children are fussing at each other, and I am able to speak the words of life to them:  “Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,  bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.”

My heart is burdened for their salvation, and I pray that the Lord would deliver them from the domain of darkness and transfer them to the kingdom of His Beloved Son.

I am all nerves as I contemplate a public speaking engagement this weekend.  He whispers in my ear:  “I will strengthen you with all power according to my glorious might.”

And indeed only His strengthening power (and the sweet encouragement of my dear friend!) have I been able to do this great thing.  I pray for grace that this will be just the beginning of an eternal adventure, for His word endures forever!

About Julie

A happy wife, a mom on the learning curve, a daughter of the King . . .
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Hiding

1. juliesunne says:

So excited for you, Julie! Let it be the Lord’s words. Getting out of His way is often the most difficult part. Praying for a calm spirit for you.

• Julie says:

Thank you, dear friend. My topic is, “Debunking the myth of Superwoman!” To that end, the Lord has given lots of “kryptonite” moments this week as fodder . . . oh, He is good!

• juliesunne says:

Wish I could be there. I need to hear your message as I swear I have super powers and can do it all!

2. Beth says:

God has been dealing with me about memorizing. Your words made a difference to me—thank you.

3. Court says:

I agree memorizing is not a tidy thing. May it go well for you!

4. Carol Koch says:

Hi Julie! I am now in the process of memorizing a section of the scripture with a friend. What sweet work it is and what wonderful benefits.
    I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed and benefited from your talk. Thanks for the work that you put into it. I could tell that it was very thoughtfully put together. Thanks for the encouragement!

• Julie says:

You could have written that talk too! 🙂 Isn’t it sweet grace to look back and see how God has worked?! I heard you were working through Philippians–what wonderful, powerful words from our God! Love you, sister!

5. Carol Koch says:

The BEST part of memorizing for me has been to see another person’s eyes and heart opened up to the blessings of memorizing the Word. That blessing is priceless!